Saturday, 8 June 2013

REVIEW: Thirteen Reasons Why by Jay Asher

Title: Thirteen Reasons Why


Author: Jay Asher

Pages: 304

Summary: Clay Jensen returns home from school to find a mysterious box with his name on it lying on his porch. Inside he discovers thirteen cassette tapes recorded by Hannah Baker, his classmate and crush who committed suicide two weeks earlier.
On tape, Hannah explains that there are thirteen reasons why she decided to end her life. Clay is one of them. If he listens, he'll find out how he made the list.
Through Hannah and Clay's dual narratives, debut author Jay Asher weaves an intricate and heartrending story of confusion and desperation that will deeply affect teen readers.
Stars: 5/5
This book was absolutely mesmerizing, surprising, painful and it left me completely shocked after I‘ve finished it. It‘s one of those books that you can‘t let go of until you‘re finished with it or only if you really have to. Even though the whole focus is not on Clay at all and we actually find out very little about him, I could still find myself being him whilst listening to the tapes that change your whole life.

Hannah, however, is a character I can relate to the most. With myself going through things daily and sometimes thinking too much it‘s the character I found myself feeling with - sharing their pain, their thoughts and their problems. She‘s a character that you love no matter what. She‘s a character you wish is alive and not only the voice on tapes. Sometimes it‘s easy to get lost in words and start to think that you're just reading any other novel that has a boy and a girl falling in love. But then, just with one simple sentence, you‘re back in “reality“ and you realize what‘s really going on once again. This is definitely not your usual book and I got to admit that‘s the reason I liked it so much. There were parts in the book that I found a little wary, but that didn‘t stop me from giving it 5 stars because a meaning, a message, and just the whole story is more important than that. I recommend this book to everyone who feel like reading something painful and something that will make them cry in both, good and bad way. Sometimes, books like this one is what we need and this was exactly what I needed at the moment.

I wouldn‘t want to give anything much away, but be prepared if you‘re thinking of reading it because this book will tear you in so many ways, but despite that, it‘s definitely a book I‘ll read a few times.

No comments:

Post a Comment