Tuesday, 10 September 2013

REVIEW: Two Boys Kissing by David Levithan

Title: Two Boys Kissing

Author: David Levithan

Pages: 208

Summary: New York Times  bestselling author David Levithan tells the based-on-true-events story of Harry and Craig, two 17-year-olds who are about to take part in a 32-hour marathon of kissing to set a new Guinness World Record—all of which is narrated by a Greek Chorus of the generation of gay men lost to AIDS. 

While the two increasingly dehydrated and sleep-deprived boys are locking lips, they become a focal point in the lives of other teen boys dealing with languishing long-term relationships, coming out, navigating gender identity, and falling deeper into the digital rabbit hole of gay hookup sites—all while the kissing former couple tries to figure out their own feelings for each other.

Rating: 5/5

This book is everything. This book is that and even more. There are only few books that affected me in the way Two Boys Kissing did. It's the narration in a book, told from the view of dead gay man that lost their lives to AIDS. It's messages, so much messages, this book offers and tries to spread and says. It's the storyline, so strong and so impressive and done in just the right way. It's the characters, every character in this book, and the way I could connect to all of them in one way or another. It's the whole book put together, it's everything this book offers, that makes me love it so much. I wish I could just go around and recommend it to everyone around me, even if they'd probably ignore me.

This book tells a story about two boys, Harry and Craig, that want to break a 32-hour World Record in kissing. It tells a story about Peter and Neil, two boys who've been together for a while now. It tells a story about Ryan and Avery, two boys who meet at a gay prom. And it tells a story about Cooper, a gay teenager with more life at gay hookup sites than in the real world. Each story is the story of its own and it brings more questions, more problems that teens, gay or not, deal with. I found myself in each of the character, finding bits and pieces that I can connect with, too so it was even easier for me to enjoy this as much.

Messages in this book are overpowering. This book makes you think, really think, and I'm quite sure I'll be thinking about everything I've just read for a long time and will probably reread it too many times. I'm trying to think of what else to say, but I've just finished this and I'm still speechless and this is as best as I can offer. If you're uncertain about this, don't think twice anymore. Just read it! You won't regret it at all. ((And now I sound like one of those annoying commercials for some product I'm sorry.))

No comments:

Post a Comment